Return to Headlines

Contingency Planning Related to COVID-19

As you are aware, the arrival of the Omicron variant has recently led to a significant increase in confirmed COVID-19 cases in our area. Right now, we are effectively managing this situation at school using our existing protocols; however, the anticipated case level over the next two to three weeks has the potential to continue negatively impacting staffing at schools in BVSD, including Peak to Peak. Every day, we are troubleshooting and creating contingency plans to address staff absences. 

We are sending this communication to make you aware that our staffing levels are increasingly being strained by COVID-related absences; as a result, it’s possible that we will need to consider a temporary closure until adequate staffing can be restored. We are not yet at this point, but we wanted to make you aware of this possibility so you can plan ahead. We know that finding childcare on short notice can be a difficult task and that you may need advance notice to make other arrangements when students need to be home. 

First and foremost, please know that our primary goal (and intention) is to keep Peak to Peak open and operating on a normal schedule with in-person instruction for all of our students because we know this is best for students. We will not cancel classes unless (1) we are ordered to do so by Boulder County Public Health (which seems unlikely); or (2) we do not have enough staff present to ensure adequate student supervision and safety. The second scenario will remain true regardless of what BVSD decides to do since staffing challenges are unique at each school. Thus, we will not automatically align with BVSD if they make a decision to shift to remote learning because of staffing challenges at their schools. 

In the unlikely event that we do need to consider a temporary closure because of our own staffing challenges, here is what you can expect: 

  • We will communicate with you as soon as possible.
  • To the best of our ability, we will minimize time away from school for students and staff (any outright closure or shift to distance learning will be temporary and will be concluded as soon as possible).
  • While we have no intention of making a long-term shift to distance learning, we will arrange for all students to have Chromebooks at home if a temporary move to that model becomes necessary.
  • We will only consider a shift to distance learning if we anticipate that students and staff will need to be out for more than a week. Any shorter lengths of time will be handled like a weather-related closure, but hopefully with more notice. 

Based on the information we have received from BCPH and other informed sources, we expect the current surge of COVID-19 cases to peak in the next two to three weeks, and then to subside. Our strong hope is that we can maintain sufficient staffing levels through this time that we do not have to consider closing or shifting to distance learning, even on a temporary basis. 

With kind regards,

Peak to Peak’s Leadership Team  

Important Links: